How to Apply
Applying to the full time conservatory program and the Six Week summer intensive
The application process involves submitting the materials listed below as well as an Artistic Review (Interview/Audition) with the Executive Director, Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman. Should you be selected for an Artistic Review, you will be expected to come prepared with a one to two minute contemporary monologue. Interviews may be conducted in person, or via a remote platform such as Zoom. (see below under 'ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition' for more details).
Please contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The application period for our 2023-2024 Full Time Conservatory Program is closed as we are at capacity.
- The application period for our 2024-2025 Full Time Conservatory Program is ongoing and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- The application period for our 2024 Six Week Summer Intensive Program is ongoing and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Application Form - Click Here to Download PDF Application.
- Personal Statement - up to 250 words detailing why you wish to study at The Neighborhood Playhouse.
- Personal Letter of Recommendation - The personal recommendation should be written by someone who has known you for a number of years. It should be written by someone who can attest to your character such as a friend, neighbor, coworker, etc. The letter should speak to your character and preparedness for a serious, full-time program.
- Professional Letter of Recommendation - The professional recommendation should be written by someone who can speak to your work ethic. They might discuss who you are in the theatre atmosphere or as an employee, and what qualities make you a good candidate for a full time professional acting conservatory. This letter could be from a director, boss, creative colleague, or professional collaborator.
- Current photo (headshot not required)
- Copy of High School Diploma/Transcript and College Diploma/Transcript (if applicable) - If you are a High School Senior, this may be submitted upon graduation. Please provide full contact information for your high school along with anticipated date of graduation.
- $75 Application Fee - Payable by cash, US bank check or money order, or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, & Discover only. We do not accept American Express). Please make check/money order payable to “The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre.” To pay by credit card via PayPal please click the PAY NOW button below. Should you wish to pay via credit card and would like to avoid using PayPal, please contact our office and we will email you an invoice.
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants ONLY - Please see additional ‘Proof of Finances’ and ‘Evaluation of International Credentials’ information detailed below under “International Applicants”.
SUBMITTING your Application:
All application materials can be sent by postal mail or email to The Neighborhood Playhouse. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their Application Form, $75.00 Application Fee, and photo arrive prior to supporting documents (letters of reference, resume, transcripts, etc.) to expedite the application process.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity. Space is limited, so we suggest that you apply early.
Deadlines for the Full Time Conservatory and six week summer intensive:
2023 - 2024 Two Year Full-Time Conservatory Regular Deadline - We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2023 as we are at capacity.
2024 - 2025 Two Year Full-Time Conservatory Regular Deadline - Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity. We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2023 as we are at capacity. Please check back for information about 2024-2025.
(Please note, the deadline to apply for the Joanne Woodward First Year Scholarship for the 2024-25 Academic Year is March 1st, 2024. An application must be complete in order to be considered.)
2024 Six Week Summer Intensive Regular Deadline - Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity.
*We encourage applicants to send materials digitally*
For postal mail: please send materials to:
The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre
340 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022
To send by email: please address to email@example.com including your full name in the subject line.
ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition
After your completed application materials are processed and reviewed, you will be contacted by The Neighborhood Playhouse as to whether an Artistic Review (Interview/Audition) has been granted. All applicants are expected to be prepared with a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue at the time of their appointment. During the Interview/Audition applicants will speak with Executive Director Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman and present their prepared monologue.
Artistic Reviews (Interviews/Auditions) may be conducted in person or via a remote platform such as Zoom.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder, please review the International Applicants page for more information. Be aware that the F-1 Student Visa process takes an estimated 30-90 days. Please contact Anthony Reimer at firstname.lastname@example.org and Paula Gregorio at email@example.com with questions/concerns.
Non-Discrimination Policy: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, admissions and employment. It is the policy of the school to provide equal opportunity for all qualified applicants, students and employees and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, religion national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, or marital status.
*International Students (non US Citizens or Green Card Holders) the F-1 Student Visa application process takes an estimated 30-90 days. EXCEPTION: for CITIZENS OF CANADA it is possible to be completed in 15 to 30 days. If you are an international student and wish to apply to attend the Two Year Conservatory 2023-2024 programs, then we strongly recommend you contact Anthony Reimer (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Paula Gregorio (email@example.com) to better understand the steps necessary to complete the F-1 Student Visa application process at the nearest US Embassy.