How to Apply
accepting applications for the 2017 -18
Full-time Two year certificate program
The application process involves submitting the materials listed below, as well as an interview with the Executive Director, Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be expected to come prepared with a one- to two-minute contemporary monologue. Interviews are conducted in person at our school on East 54th St. in New York; via Skype; and at seasonal, *off-site locations (see below under 'ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition' for more details).
Please contact Admissions at (212) 688-3770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Application Form - Download Here.
- Personal Statement - up to 250 words detailing why you wish to study at The Neighborhood Playhouse.
- Personal Letter of Recommendation - The personal recommendation should be written by someone who has known you for a number of years. A family friend, a teacher, or a counselor are good options. The letter should speak to your character and preparedness for a serious, full-time program.
- Professional Letter of Recommendation - The professional recommendation should be written by someone who can speak to your work ethic. They might discuss who you are in the theatre atmosphere or as an employee, and what qualities make you a good candidate for a full time professional acting conservatory. This letter could be from a director, boss, creative colleague, or professional collaborator.
- Current photo (headshot not required)
- Copy of high school diploma or college transcript - If you are a High School Senior, this may be submitted upon graduation.
- $75 Application Fee - Payable by cash, check or credit card. Please make check/money order payable to “The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre”. To pay by credit card download the Credit Card Authorization form and submit the completed form via email, fax, or mail to the school. (We accept Visa, MasterCard, & Discover.) You may also pay via PayPal using the Application Fee PAY NOW Button below.
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants ONLY - Please see additional ‘Proof of Finances’ information detailed below under “International Applicants”.
SUBMITTING your Application:
All application materials can be sent by postal mail, email, or fax to The Neighborhood Playhouse. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their Application Form, $75.00 Application Fee, and photo arrive prior to supporting documents (letters of reference, resume, transcripts, etc.) to expedite the application process.
For postal mail: please send materials to: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre
340 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022
To send by email: please address to email@example.com including your full name in the subject line.
To send via fax: please address to (212) 906-9051 with "Attn: Admissions"
ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition
After your application materials are processed, you will be contacted in regards to scheduling the Artistic Review. All applicants are expected to be prepared with a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue at the time of their appointment. During the interview/audition applicants will speak with Executive Director Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman and present their prepared monologue.
Students who are unable to interview at The Neighborhood Playhouse in New York can interview via Skype or In Person at one of the *off-site locations listed below :
Los Angeles, California - Saturday, March 18th
We will be holding auditions by appointment only starting at 11:00am. Auditions will be hosted by MNR Dance Factory located at 11606 San Vicente Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90049. Limited number of auditions slots--email firstname.lastname@example.org for details and to reserve an audition slot.
Lexington, Kentucky - March 2nd thru March 4th
We will be holding auditions by appointment only starting at 12:00pm on Thursday, March 2nd through Saturday, March 4th at 12:00pm. Auditions will be held during the South Eastern Theatre Conference (SETC) 68th Annual Festival. We encourage you to register for undergraduate/graduate auditions and let us know in advance that you will be participating in the auditions at the Lexington Center. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of SETC (auditions will be at the Lexington Convention Center OR at 1375 West Broadway, Lexington, KY).
You may request your preferred method of interview on the Application Form and/or by emailing email@example.com
In person artistic reviews are held at the Neighborhood Playhouse AND at select off-site locations on specified dates (see above). Applicants can also interview/audition via Skype.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder, please review the International Applicants page for more information. Be aware that the F-1 Student Visa process takes an estimated 30-90 days. Please contact Amanda Callahan at 212-688-3770 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions/concerns.
Non-Discrimination Policy: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, admissions and employment. It is the policy of the school to provide equal opportunity for all qualified applicants, students and employees and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, religion national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, or marital status.
*International Students (non US Citizens or Green Card Holders) the F-1 Student Visa applicaiton process takes and estimated 30-90 days. EXCEPTION: for CITIZENS OF CANADA it is possible to completed it in 15-30 days. If you are an international student and wish to apply to attend Fall 2015, please contact Amanda Callahan immediately (email@example.com) to better understand the steps necessary and if it possible to expedite initiating the F-1 Student Visa application process.