How to Apply
2019 -2020 Two year certificate: professional Actor Training program
*2019 SIX WEEK SUMMER ACTING INTENSIVE
Will ARe STILL Accepting Applications for 2019-2020 Until May 17th, 2019.
The application process involves submitting the materials listed below, as well as an interview with the Executive Director, Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be expected to come prepared with a one- to two-minute contemporary monologue. Interviews are conducted in person at our school on East 54th St. in New York; via Skype; and at seasonal, off-site locations (see below under 'ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition' for more details).
*We begin accepting applications for 2020-2021 September 16th, 2019.
Please contact Admissions at (212) 688-3770 or email email@example.com with any questions.
- Application Form - Download Here.
- Personal Statement - up to 250 words detailing why you wish to study at The Neighborhood Playhouse.
- Personal Letter of Recommendation - The personal recommendation should be written by someone who has known you for a number of years. A family friend, a teacher, or a counselor are good options. The letter should speak to your character and preparedness for a serious, full-time program.
- Professional Letter of Recommendation - The professional recommendation should be written by someone who can speak to your work ethic. They might discuss who you are in the theatre atmosphere or as an employee, and what qualities make you a good candidate for a full time professional acting conservatory. This letter could be from a director, boss, creative colleague, or professional collaborator.
- Current photo (headshot not required)
- Copy of high school diploma or college transcript - If you are a High School Senior, this may be submitted upon graduation.
- $75 Application Fee - Payable by cash, US bank check or money order, or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, & Discover only. We do not accept American Express). Please make check/money order payable to “The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre.” To pay by credit card via PayPal please click the PAY NOW button below. Should you wish to pay via credit card and would like to avoid using PayPal, please contact our office and we will email you an invoice.
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants ONLY - Please see additional ‘Proof of Finances’ information detailed below under “International Applicants”.
SUBMITTING your Application:
All application materials can be sent by postal mail, email, or fax to The Neighborhood Playhouse. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their Application Form, $75.00 Application Fee, and photo arrive prior to supporting documents (letters of reference, resume, transcripts, etc.) to expedite the application process.
For postal mail: please send materials to: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre
340 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022
To send by email: please address to firstname.lastname@example.org including your full name in the subject line.
To send via fax: please address to (212) 906-9051 with "Attn: Admissions"
ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition
After your application materials are processed, you will be contacted in regards to scheduling the Artistic Review. All applicants are expected to be prepared with a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue at the time of their appointment. During the interview/audition applicants will speak with Executive Director Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman and present their prepared monologue.
Artistic Reviews (Interviews/Auditions) may be conducted in person at the school or at one of our various satellite audition locations listed below. Interview/Auditions may also be conducted remotely online via video chat (i.e. Skype, Google, FaceTime, etc.).
2019-2020 ApplicaNT SATELLITE AUDITIONS
Locations & Dates
Contact us at email@example.com or 212-688-3772 for details and to secure your satillite interview slot today in the location of your choice.
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 20TH, 2018
San Diego, California - September 22nd, 2018
Los angeles, CAlifornia - September 21st & 23rd, 2018
We will also be present at NACAC's Performing & Visual Arts College Fairs (San Francisco - Thursday, September 20th, San Diego - Saturday, September 22nd, & Los Angeles, Sunday, September 23rd) with an Admissions Staff member and NP Alumni Rep. We encourage prospective students, along with family & friends, to meet us there to learn more about our school, programs of study, and the professional training we have to offer. And don't forget to let us know in advance that you will be attending NACAC!
Dallas, Texas: Nov 15 - Nov 17, 2o18
We will be holding auditions by appointment only Thursday, November 15th - Saturday, November 17th. We will be attending the undergraduate auditions at the Texas Thespians State Festival 2018 (TTSF18). We encourage you to register to attend and let us know in advance that you will be participating in TTSF18. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of TTSF18.
London, United Kingdom: February 9th - February 11th, 2019
We will be holding auditions by appointment only Saturday, February 9th through Monday, February 11th. We will be attending the Surviving Actors trade show to help actors and artists develop and sustain their career and to create new opportunities for themselves. We will also offer a workshops/seminars led by Pamela Moller Kareman, Executive Director. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of Surviving Actors.
Knoxville, Tennessee: Feb 27th- Mar 2nd, 2019
We will be holding auditions by appointment only Thursday, February 28th through Saturday, March 2nd. We will be attending the graduate and undergraduate auditions at the South Eastern Theatre Conference (SETC) 70th Annual Festival. We encourage you to register for undergraduate/graduate auditions and let us know in advance that you will be participating in SETC 2019. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of SETC.
You may request your preferred method of interview on the Application Form and/or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org separately.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder, please review the International Applicants page for more information. Be aware that the F-1 Student Visa process takes an estimated 30-90 days. Please contact Amanda Callahan at 212-688-3770 or email@example.com with questions/concerns.
Non-Discrimination Policy: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, admissions and employment. It is the policy of the school to provide equal opportunity for all qualified applicants, students and employees and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, religion national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, or marital status.
*International Students (non US Citizens or Green Card Holders) the F-1 Student Visa applicaiton process takes an estimated 30-90 days. EXCEPTION: for CITIZENS OF CANADA it is possible to be completed in 15 to 30 days. If you are an international student and wish to apply to attend the Two Year Conservatory 2019-2020 programs, then we strongly recommend you contact Amanda Callahan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to better understand the steps necessary to complete the F-1 Student Visa application process at the nearest US Embassy.