How to Apply
2020-21 Two year certificate:
professional Actor Training program
FALL 2020: ONLINE
SPRING 2021: IN-PERSON
2021 SIX WEEK SUMMER ACTING INTENSIVE
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff, The Neighborhood Playhouse has made the decision to hold the Fall 2020 term online. We remain cautiously optimistic and all preparations are being made for an expected return to on-site classes and performances in the Spring 2021 term.
The application process involves submitting the materials listed below as well as an Artistic Review (Interview/Audition) with the Executive Director, Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman. Should you be selected for an Artistic Review, you will be expected to come prepared with a one to two minute contemporary monologue. Interviews are conducted via Zoom and at seasonal, off-site locations (see below under 'ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition' for more details).
Please contact Admissions at (212) 688-3770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The application period for our 2021 Six Week Summer Intensive is ongoing and applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The application period for our 2020 Full Time Conservatory Program is now closed. Please check back for more information about our 2021 Full Time Conservatory Program and Summer Intensive.
- Application Form - Click Here to Download PDF Application.
- Personal Statement - up to 250 words detailing why you wish to study at The Neighborhood Playhouse.
- Personal Letter of Recommendation - The personal recommendation should be written by someone who has known you for a number of years. It should be written by someone who can attest to your character such as a friend, neighbor, coworker, etc. The letter should speak to your character and preparedness for a serious, full-time program.
- Professional Letter of Recommendation - The professional recommendation should be written by someone who can speak to your work ethic. They might discuss who you are in the theatre atmosphere or as an employee, and what qualities make you a good candidate for a full time professional acting conservatory. This letter could be from a director, boss, creative colleague, or professional collaborator.
- Current photo (headshot not required)
- Copy of High School Diploma/Transcript and College Diploma/Transcript (if applicable) - If you are a High School Senior, this may be submitted upon graduation. Please provide full contact information for your high school along with anticipated date of graduation.
- $75 Application Fee - Payable by cash, US bank check or money order, or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, & Discover only. We do not accept American Express). Please make check/money order payable to “The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre.” To pay by credit card via PayPal please click the PAY NOW button below. Should you wish to pay via credit card and would like to avoid using PayPal, please contact our office and we will email you an invoice.
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants ONLY - Please see additional ‘Proof of Finances’ information detailed below under “International Applicants”.
SUBMITTING your Application:
All application materials can be sent by postal mail, email, or fax to The Neighborhood Playhouse. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their Application Form, $75.00 Application Fee, and photo arrive prior to supporting documents (letters of reference, resume, transcripts, etc.) to expedite the application process.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity. Space is limited, so we suggest that you apply early.
Deadlines for the 2021-2022 Full Time Conservatory and Online six week summer intensive:
Two Year Full-Time Conservatory Regular Deadline - Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity. The application period for our 2020 Full Time Conservatory Program is now closed.
(Please note, the deadline to apply for the Joanne Woodward Scholarhip for the 2020-2021 Academic Year has now passed)
Online Six Week Week Summer Intensive Regular Deadline - Applications are accepted on a rolling basis based on class capacity.
*We encourage applicants to send materials digitally*
For postal mail: please send materials to: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre
340 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022
To send by email: please address to email@example.com including your full name in the subject line.
To send via fax: We are unable to accept faxes at this time due to working remotely.
ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition
After your completed application materials are processed and reviewed, you will be contacted by The Neighborhood Playhouse as to whether an Artistic Review (Interview/Audition) has been granted. All applicants are expected to be prepared with a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue at the time of their appointment. During the Interview/Audition applicants will speak with Executive Director Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman and present their prepared monologue.
Artistic Reviews (Interviews/Auditions) may be conducted in person at the school or at one of our various satellite audition locations listed below. Interview/Auditions may also be conducted remotely online via video chat (i.e. Skype, Google, FaceTime, etc.).
2020-2021 APPLICANT SATELLITE AUDITIONS
Locations & Dates TBD
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-688-3772 for details and to secure your satellite interview slot today in the location of your choice.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder, please review the International Applicants page for more information. Be aware that the F-1 Student Visa process takes an estimated 30-90 days. Please contact Anthony Reimer at 212-688-3770 or email@example.com with questions/concerns.
Non-Discrimination Policy: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, admissions and employment. It is the policy of the school to provide equal opportunity for all qualified applicants, students and employees and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, religion national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, or marital status.
*International Students (non US Citizens or Green Card Holders) the F-1 Student Visa application process takes an estimated 30-90 days. EXCEPTION: for CITIZENS OF CANADA it is possible to be completed in 15 to 30 days. If you are an international student and wish to apply to attend the Two Year Conservatory 2019-2020 programs, then we strongly recommend you contact Anthony Reimer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to better understand the steps necessary to complete the F-1 Student Visa application process at the nearest US Embassy.