How to Apply
accepting applications for the 2017 -18
Full-time Two year certificate & Summer Six Week Intensive
The application process involves submitting the materials listed below, as well as an interview with the Executive Director, Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be expected to come prepared with a one- to two-minute contemporary monologue. Interviews are conducted in person at our school on East 54th St. in New York; via Skype; and at seasonal, *off-site locations (see below under 'ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition' for more details).
Please contact Admissions at (212) 688-3770 or email email@example.com with any questions.
- Application Form - Download Here.
- Personal Statement - up to 250 words detailing why you wish to study at The Neighborhood Playhouse.
- Personal Letter of Recommendation - The personal recommendation should be written by someone who has known you for a number of years. A family friend, a teacher, or a counselor are good options. The letter should speak to your character and preparedness for a serious, full-time program.
- Professional Letter of Recommendation - The professional recommendation should be written by someone who can speak to your work ethic. They might discuss who you are in the theatre atmosphere or as an employee, and what qualities make you a good candidate for a full time professional acting conservatory. This letter could be from a director, boss, creative colleague, or professional collaborator.
- Current photo (headshot not required)
- Copy of high school diploma or college transcript - If you are a High School Senior, this may be submitted upon graduation.
- $75 Application Fee - Payable by cash, check or credit card. Please make check/money order payable to “The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre”. To pay by credit card download the Credit Card Authorization form and submit the completed form via email, fax, or mail to the school. (We accept Visa, MasterCard, & Discover.) You may also pay via PayPal using the Application Fee PAY NOW Button below.
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants ONLY - Please see additional ‘Proof of Finances’ information detailed below under “International Applicants”.
SUBMITTING your Application:
All application materials can be sent by postal mail, email, or fax to The Neighborhood Playhouse. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their Application Form, $75.00 Application Fee, and photo arrive prior to supporting documents (letters of reference, resume, transcripts, etc.) to expedite the application process.
For postal mail: please send materials to: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre
340 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022
To send by email: please address to firstname.lastname@example.org including your full name in the subject line.
To send via fax: please address to (212) 906-9051 with "Attn: Admissions"
ARTISTIC REVIEW: Interview/Audition
After your application materials are processed, you will be contacted in regards to scheduling the Artistic Review. All applicants are expected to be prepared with a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue at the time of their appointment. During the interview/audition applicants will speak with Executive Director Ms. Pamela Moller Kareman and present their prepared monologue.
Artistic Reviews (Interviews/Auditions) may be conducted in person at the school or at one of our various satellite audition locations listed below. Interview/Auditions may also be conducted remotely online via video chat (i.e. Skype, Google, FaceTime, etc.).
2018-2019 SATELLITE AUDITION Locations & Dates
*San Diego, California - OCT 28, 2017
*Los angeles, CAlifornia - Oct 29 & Oct 30, 2017
*San Francisco, California - Nov 1, 2017
Contact us at email@example.com or 212-688-3772 for details and to secure your interview slot today.
*We will also be present at NACAC's Performing & Visual Arts College Fairs (San Diego - Saturday, Oct 28, Los Angeles, Sunday, Oct. 29th, and San Francisco, Wednesday, Nov 1st) with an Admissions Staff member and NP Alumni Rep. We encourage prospective students, along with family & friends, to meet us there to learn more about our school, programs of study, and the professional training we have to offer. And don't forget to let us know in advance that you will be attending NACAC!
Dallas, Texas: Nov 16 - Nov 18, 2o17
We will be holding auditions by appointment only Thursday, November 16th - Saturday, November 18th. We will be attending the undergraduate auditions at the Texas Thespians State Festival 2017 (TTSF17). We encourage you to register to attend and let us know in advance that you will be participating in TTSF17. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of TTSF17.
Mobile, Alabama: Mar 8 - Mar 10, 2018
We will be holding auditions by appointment only Thursday, March 8th through Saturday, March 10th. We will be attending the graduate and undergraduate auditions at the South Eastern Theatre Conference (SETC) 69th Annual Festival. We encourage you to register for undergraduate/graduate auditions and let us know in advance that you will be participating in SETC 2018. If you would prefer to only audition for the Neighborhood Playhouse and reside in the general vicinity, please don't hesitate to contact us to apply and schedule an audition independent of SETC.
Portland, Oregon: Mar 30 & Mar 31, 2018
We will be holding Artistic Reviews at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details and to reserve your date/time today.
You may request your preferred method of interview on the Application Form and/or by emailing email@example.com separately.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder, please review the International Applicants page for more information. Be aware that the F-1 Student Visa process takes an estimated 30-90 days. Please contact Amanda Callahan at 212-688-3770 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions/concerns.
Non-Discrimination Policy: The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, admissions and employment. It is the policy of the school to provide equal opportunity for all qualified applicants, students and employees and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, religion national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, or marital status.
*International Students (non US Citizens or Green Card Holders) the F-1 Student Visa applicaiton process takes and estimated 30-90 days. EXCEPTION: for CITIZENS OF CANADA it is possible to completed it in 15-30 days. If you are an international student and wish to apply to attend Fall 2015, please contact Amanda Callahan immediately (email@example.com) to better understand the steps necessary and if it possible to expedite initiating the F-1 Student Visa application process.